What’s Your Reference Question?
- Professional Associations — Current memberships
- Professional Travel and Meeting Attendance
Nancy Moltaji spent some time visiting Tibet in June 2012. Seeing manuscript libraries in Tibetan monasteries piqued her interest in past history of the printed treasures and present day attempts to preserve them. Nancy presented a poster on the topic at the annual meeting of the Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association this past fall and again at Mayo’s Festival of Cultures held in November 2012. (more…)
The “RACE: Are We So Different?” exhibit arrived in Jacksonville, Florida on January 26, 2013. Mayo Clinic in Florida played a large role in bringing the exhibit to Jacksonville, Florida. You may remember that it was also on view in Rochester, Minnesota in 2010 (http://liblog.mayo.edu/2010/08/05/race-are-we-so-different/). (more…)
NeoFax/Pediatrics is now available for optimal drug and parenteral nutrition care of infants and children. The “NeoFax” portion of Micromedex reduces medication errors in infants with tools that help prescribe, calculate, formulate and administer drugs and nutrition solutions. The “Pediatrics” portion provides similar prescribing and calculating services in the care of children. Access these resources at the last tab menu of Micromedex via intranet or VPN. Please contact the library with questions or refer to the NeoFax/Pediatrics User Guide.
The Patient Education resource center receives an average of 275 visitors a day. These patients and family members have a wide variety of information needs, from very simple to quite complex. One way we address these questions is using our resource files. We created the resource files based on our experience with patient’s questions and the kinds of materials they request. They are organized by clinical area and, within these, body system or disease. We allow patients to browse through the files and request printed copies of any or all of the items they contain. In this way, the patients themselves determine which items best address their needs. We store most of the items from the folders in the center, though sometimes we print copies of items that are less commonly requested. In January of 2013, we distributed 18,124 pamphlets from the center. This number does not include items that we printed from our database, Medline Plus or MayoClinic.Com. These materials, our DVD’s and our classes are all free of charge.
Patient Education Specialist
Mayo Clinic Family Health Book provides easy-to-find information in a comprehensive volume, offering the ultimate home medical reference from a trusted name in medicine. (more…)
- Academic Medicine Editorial Board
- American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing
- Program Planning Committee 2013-2014
- American Association for the History of Medicine
- American Library Association
- Committee on Education 2011-2013
- Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries
- Central Arizona Biomedical Libraries (CABL)
- Coalition for Networked Information
- Health Information and Libraries Journal Editorial Board
- Health Sciences Libraries of Minnesota
- History Center of Olmsted County
- Medical Library Association
- Books Panel
- Consumer and Patient Health Information Section
- Education Media and Technologies Section
- History of the Health Sciences Section
- Hospital Libraries Section
- Librarians Without Borders Advisory Committee
- Medical Informatics Section
- National Program Committee 2013
- Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section
- Public Health/Health Administration Section
- Core Public Health Journals Project
- Research Committee
- Web Committee
- Public Services Section
- Research Section
- Technology Advisory Group
- Medical Library Group of Southern California/Arizona (MLGSCA)
- Professional Development and Awards Committee
- Midwest Art Conservation Center
- Midwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association
- Annual Meeting Program Committee
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Minnesota Library Association
- New England Journal of Medicine Library Advisory Committee
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Librarian Advisory Group
- Southern Chapter of the Medical Library Association
- Special Libraries Association
Tara Brigham. Mayo Clinic Libraries: Resources for Your Research. CALD: Publishing Your Research. January, 3013, Mayo Clinic, Florida.
Tara Brigham. Mayo Clinic Libraries: Resources for Operating Room Allied Health Staff. March, 2013, Mayo Clinic, Florida.
Nancy Moltaji, Dawn Littleton, Brian Lind. Tibet: From Tourist to Witness. Rochester International Association, February 2013, Rochester, MN.
Ann Farrell attended the Library Technology Conference in March 2013. This conference is held annually at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Dawn Littleton attended the Association of American Indian Physicians 21st Annual Native American Cross Cultural Medicine Workshop in Santa Fe, New Mexico, April 25-28, 2013.
Melissa Rethlefsen attended the New England Journal of Medicine Library Advisory Board Meeting in Clearwater, Florida, April 21-22, 2013.
Brigham TJ: Smart Boards: A reemerging technology. Med Ref Serv Q. 2013; 32(2):194-202. doi:10.1080/02763869.2013.776903.
Rank MA, Hagan JB, Park MA, Podjasek JC, Samant SA, Volcheck GW, Erwin PJ, West CP. The risk of asthma exacerbation after stopping low-dose inhaled corticosteroids: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013 Jan 12;
Deo SV, Shah IK, Dunlay SM, Erwin PJ, Locker C, Altarabsheh SE, Boilson BA, Park SJ, Joyce LD. Bilateral internal thoracic artery harvest and deep sternal wound infection in diabetic patients. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2013 Jan 24;
Tleyjeh IM, Abdulhak AA, Riaz M, Garbati MA, Al-Tannir M, Alasmari FA, Alghamdi M, Khan AR, Erwin PJ, Sutton AJ, Baddour LM. The association between histamine 2 receptor antagonist use and clostridium difficile infection: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e56498
Deo SV, Dunlay SM, Shah IK, Altarabsheh SE, Erwin PJ, Boilson BA, Park SJ, Joyce LD. Dual anti-platelet therapy after coronary artery bypass grafting: Is there any benefit? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Cardiac Surgery. 2013 Mar; 28(2):109-16.
Singh B, Murad MH, Prokop LJ, Erwin PJ, Wang Z, Mommer SK, Mascarenhas SS, Parsaik AK. Meta-analysis of Glasgow Coma Scale and Simplified Motor Score in predicting traumatic brain injury outcomes. Brain Injuries. 2013; 27(3):293-300.
Deo SV, Shah IK, Dunlay SM, Erwin PJ, Dillon JM, Park SJ. Myocardial revascularisation in renal dysfunction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Heart Lung Circ. 2013 Mar 30.
Gerberi D, Gajic-Zoric V. Venables Health Sciences Library: Striving to meet the needs of Mayo Clinic’s health sciences students. BOSNIACA: Journal of the National and University Library of Bosnia and Herzegovina. 17(17):57-9, 2012.
Kanwar A, Malik S, Prokop LJ, Sim LA, Feldstein D, Wang Z, Murad MH. The association between anxiety Disorders and suicidal behaviors: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Depress Anxiety. 2013 Feb 13. doi: 10.1002/da.22074. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23408488 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Majka AJ, Wang Z, Schmitz KR, Niesen CR, Larsen RA, Kinsey GC, Murad AL, Prokop LJ, Murad MH. Care coordination to enhance management of long-term enteral tube feeding: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013 Mar 25. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 23528323 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Most Popular New Items of 2012
- “MayoSearch” 20th Anniversary 1993-2013
- iPad Mania
- Boerhaave Society
- Mayo Brothers Photographic Images and Other Documents Preserved
- SciFinder Database From Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Now Available to All Library Users
- History of Medicine Library Exhibit – Selections from the John H.M. Fallon, M.D., (1901-1951) Collection
What’s Your Reference Question?
2013 marks the 20th anniversary of Mayo’s integrated library system which initially included a suite of databases from Ovid Technologies, Inc. (previously known as CD Plus Technologies; Ovid is now owned by Wolters Kluwer Health) called “MayoSearch” and the Micromedex drug information system. (more…)
In the study of some apparently new problems, we often make progress by reading the work of the great men of the past….
Charles H. Mayo, M.D.
From “Surgery of the Sympathetic Nervous System”
Ann. Surg., 96:481-487 (Oct.), 1932
The Center for the History of Medicine was created in 2006 with the following goals: to build the infrastructure necessary for the long-term preservation and archiving of Mayo’s historical materials, to coordinate the institution’s medical history activities, and to support historical research about the institution. The Center also provides resources to aid students, trainees and staff who wish to teach, research and write about medical history and to develop academically in the field of medical history. (more…)