Posts filed under ‘Staff News’
Homan JM. Eyes on the prize: reflections on the impact of the evolving digital ecology on the librarian as expert intermediary and knowledge coach, 1969-2009. J Med Libr Assoc 2010 Jan 98(1):49-56. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2801971/
Rethlefsen ML. Medpedia. J Med Libr Assoc 2009 Oct 97(4):325-6.
Rethlefsen ML. Google Wave: collaboration reworked. Library Journal 2010 135(1):32-3.
Rethlefsen ML. The new adventures of Sally Facebook. http://idealab.mayo.edu/intheloop/2010/03/23/the-new-adventures-of-sally-facebook/ (Mayo only)
Thaera GM, Wellik KE, Barrs DM, Dunckley ED, Wingerchuk DM, Demaerschalk BM. Are corticosteroid and antiviral treatments effective for bell palsy? Neurologist 2010 Mar 16(2):138-40.
- Karen Koka attended the international conference on Wax Moulages as Cultural Artefacts: Investigation, Conservation and Restoration, in Dresden, Germany, September 24-26.
- Michael Homan attended the annual meetings of the Association of American Medical Colleges and the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries in Boston, MA November 6-9.
- Michael Homan attended the fall meeting of the Chicago Collaborative in Boston on November 10-11.
- Melissa Rethlefsen attended the American Medical Informatics Association Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA November 15-18.
- Rethlefsen ML, Gajic O, Herasevich V. Beyond wikis for open source software-based scientific collaboration web sites. In American Medical Informatics Association 2009 Annual Symposium, Nov. 16, 2009. San Francisco, CA.
- Dong Y, Rethlefsen ML, Shute CG, Gajic O, Herasevich V. Trends in collaborative approaches in medical informatics over the past three decades. In American Medical Informatics Association 2009 Annual Symposioum, Nov. 16, 2009. San Francisco, CA.
- Rethlefsen ML. Web 2.0: Principles and best practices. In QUEST, June 16, 2009. Rochester, MN.
- Rethlefsen ML. Cool Web 2.0 tools. In Health Sciences Libraries of Minnesota Fall Program, Oct. 13, 2009. Burnsville MN.
- Mullan RJ, Flynn DN, Carlberg B, Tleyjeh IM, Kamath CC, Labella ML, Erwin PJ, Guyatt GH, Montori VM. Systematic reviewers commonly contact study authors but do so with limited rigor. J Clin Epidemiol 2009 Feb;62(2):138-42. Epub 2008 Nov 14.
- Murad MH, Coto-Yglesias F, Wang AT, Sheidaee N, Mullan RJ, Elamin MB, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Drug-indiced hypoglycemia: a systematic review. J Clin Endo Metab 2009;94(3):741-5.
- Sim LA, McGovern L, Elamin MB, Swiglo BA, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Effect on bone health of estrogen preparations in premenopausal women with anorexia nervosa: A systematic review and meta-analyses. Int J Eating Disorders. 2009 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Assiri AM, AlAsmari FA, Zimmerman VA, Baddour LM, Erwin PJ, Tleyjah IM. Corticosteroid administration and outcome of adolescents and adults with acute bacterial meningitis: A meta-analysis. Mayo Clin Proc 2009 May;84(5):403-9.
- Abdelmoneim SS, Dhoble A, Bernier M, Erwin PJ, Korosoglou G, Senior R, Moir S, Kowatsch I, Shu X-H, Mura T, Dawson D, Vogel R, Wei K, West CP, Montori VM, Pellikka PA, Abdel-Kader SS, Mulvagh SL. Quantitative myocardial contract echocardiography during pharmacological stress for diagnosis of coronary artery disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic accuracy studies. European J Echocardiography 2009 Oct;10(7):813-25.
- Elamin MB, Garcia MZ, Murad MH, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Effect of sex steroid use on cardiovascular risk in transsexual individuals: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2009 May 16. [Epub ahead of print] 2010 Jan; 72(1):1-10.
- Murad MH, Elamin MB, Garcia MZ, Mullan RJ, Murad A, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Hormonal therapy and sex reassignment: A systematic review and meta-analysis of quality of life and psychosocial outcomes. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2009 May 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Briel M, Lane M, Montori VM, Bassler D, Glasziou P, Malaga G, Akl EA, Ferreira-Gonzalez I, Alonso-Coello P, Urrutia G, Kunz R, Culebro CR, da Silva SA, Flynn DN, Elamin MB, Strahm B, Mura MH Djulbegovic B, Adhikari NK, Mills EJ, Gwadry-Sridhar F, Kirpalani H, Soares HP, Elnour NO, You JJ, Karanicolas PJ, Bucher HC, Lampropulos JF, Nordmann AJ, Burns KE, Mulla SM, Raatz H, Sood A, Kaur J, Bankhead CR, Mullan RJ, Nerenberg KA, Vandvik PO, Coto-Yglesias F, Schünemann H, Tuche F, Chrispim PP, Cook DJ, Lutz K, Ribic CM, Vale N, Erwin PJ, Perera R, Zhou Q, Heels-Ansdell D, Ramsay T, Walter SD, Guyatt GH. Stopping randomized trials early for benefit: a protocol of the Study of Trial Policy of Interim Truncation-2 (STOPIT-2). Trials. 2009 Jul 6;10:49.
- Calvin AD, Aggarwal NR, Murad MH, Shi Q, Elamin MB, Geske JB, Fernandez Balsells MM, Albuquerque FN, Lampropulos JF, Erwin PJ, Smith SA, Montori VM. Aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular events: A systematic review and meta-analysis comparing patients with and without diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009 Sep 9. [Epub ahead of print]; 2009 Dec;32(12):2300-6.
- Rizvi AZ, Murad MH, Fairman RM, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. The effect of left subclavian artery coverage on morbidity and mortality in patients undergoing endovascular thoracic aortic interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Vasc Surg. 2009 Nov;50(5):1159-69.
- Tlehjeh IM, Kashour T, Hakim FA, Zimmerman VA, Erwin PJ, Sutton AJ, Ibrahim T. Statins for the prevention and treatment of infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arch Internal Med 2009 Oct 12;169(18):1658-67.
- Alkatib AA, Cosma M, Elamin MB, Erikson D, Swiglo BA, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials of DHEA treatment effects on quality of life in woman with adrenal insufficiency. J Clin Endo Metab. 2009 Oct;94(10):3676-81. Epub 2009 Sep 22.
- Thaera GM, Wellik KE, Carter JL, Demaerschalk BM, Wingerchuk DM. Do cannabinoids reduce multiple sclerosis-related spasticity? Neurologist 2009 Nov;15(6):369-71.
- Zarkou S, Aguilar MI, Patel NP, Wellik KE, Wingerchuk DM, Demaerschalk BM. The role of corticosteroids in the management of chronic subdural hematomas: a critically appraised topic. Neurologist 2009 Sep;15(5):299-302.
- Almaraz AC, Driver-Dunckley ED, Woodruff BK, Wellik KE, Caselli RJ, Demaerschalk BM, Adler CH, Caviness JN, Wingerchuk DM. Efficacy of rivastigmine for cognitive symptoms in Parkinson disease with dementia. Neurologist 2009 Jul;15(4):234-7.
- Capampangan DJ, Wellik KE, Bobrow BJ, Aguilar MI, Ingall TJ, Kiernan TE, Wingerchuk DM, Demaerschalk BM. Telemedicine versus telephone for remote emergency stroke consultations: a critically appraised topic. Neurologist 2009 May;15(3):163-6.
- Rethlefsen ML, Piorun M, Prince JD. Using Web 2.0 technologies to teach Web 2.0 technologies. J Med Libr Assoc 2009; 97(4):253-9.
- Rethlefsen ML. Making connections. Library Journal 2009; 134(12):48-9.
- Rethlefsen ML. Power tweeting: next steps. Library Journal 2009; 134(17):18-20.
- Blum N, Lane HJ, Fee E. Justina Siegemund and the art of midwifery. American Journal of Public Health 2010; 100(1)):68-9.
- Jan Behrens attended the METRONET Conference “Transformation from Within–Creating a 21st Century Learning Commons” on June 19 in St. Paul.
- Dawn Swalboski attended the annual meeting of the American Library Association, July 9-15, in Chicago, IL.
- Michael Homan and Dawn Littleton attended the 10th International Congress on Medical Librarianship in Brisbane, Australia, August 31-September 4.
- Littleton D. “Library rush!” Development of a multi-site high-volume rapid document delivery system across Mayo Clinic and Mayo Health System. International Congress on Medical Librarianship. September 3, 2009, Brisbane, Australia.
- Homan JM. Plagiarism. Core 6000-Responsible Conduct in Research. Mayo Graduate School. September 10.
- Attwood CA. The Long and Winding Road. Mayo Clinic Libraries All Sites Retreat “Getting Better…Together,” September 22, Rochester MN.
- Dottie Hawthorne, Mayo Clinic Rochester, was appointed Instructor in Medical Education, College of Medicine.
- Matt Hoy, Luther Hospital – Midelfort Clinic – Mayo Health System, is a new co-editor of Medical Reference Services Quarterly (MRSQ) “Navigate the Net” column.
- Kay Wellik, Mayo Clinic Arizona, was promoted to Assistant Professor of Medical Informatics, College of Medicine.
PROFESSIONAL TRAVEL & MEETING ATTENDANCE
- Dana Gerberi attended the Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) 14th National Conference March 12-15, in Seattle, WA.
- Melissa Rethlefsen attended the Central Group on Educational Affairs (CGEA) Meeting on March 26-28 in Rochester, MN.
- Pat Erwin attended the annual meeting of the PNAS Advisory Board April 3 in Washington, DC.
- Ann Farrell was invited by the Clinica Alemana in Santiago, Chile to meet with their medical staff and librarian to discuss library resources. Mayo Clinic Florida has an affiliation with the Clinica Alemana.
- Dawn Littleton, Michael Homan, Melissa Rethlefsen and Dawn Swalboski attended the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI) Spring Task Force Meeting on April 6-7 in Minneapolis, MN.
- Renee Ziemer attended the American Osler Society meeting April 20-23 in Cleveland, OH.
- Michael Homan and Renee Ziemer attended the annual meeting of the American Association for the History of Medicine, April 23-26 in Cleveland, OH.
- Renee Ziemer attended the annual meeting of the Archivists/Librarians in the History of Health Sciences April 22-23 in Cleveland, OH.
- Melissa Rethlefsen presented “Internet Cool Tools: Writing About the Web on the Web” at the annual Enhancing Quality Staff Symposium sponsored by the University of Minnesota Libraries on May 5 in Minneapolis, MN.
- Hilary Lane and Marilyn Pitzen attended continuing education sessions at the annual Enhancing Quality Staff Symposium sponsored by the University of Minnesota Libraries on May 5 in Minneapolis, MN.
- Carol Ann Attwood, Michael Homan, and Melissa Rethlefsen attended the annual meeting of the Medical Library Association May 16-20, in Honolulu, HI.
LIBRARY STAFF PUBLICATIONS
Attwood CA, Wellik KE. LiveWell @ the library: Mayo Clinic Arizona boosts health and wellness for employees. J Hosp Librarianship. 2008 Winter;8(4):375-82.
Cook DA, Levinson AJ, Garside S, Dupras DM, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Internet-based learning in the health professions: a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008;300(10):1181-96.
Nannini C, West CP, Erwin PJ, Matteson EL. Effects of cyclophosphamide on pulmonary function in patients with scleroderma and interstitial lung disease: a systematic review and a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials and observational prospective cohort studies. Arthritis Research & Therapy 2008 Oct 20; 10(5):R124. [Epub ahead of print]
Murad MH, Elamin MB, Sidaway AN, Malaga G, Rizvi AZ, Flynn DN, Casey ET, McCausland FR, McGrath MM, Vo DH, Al-zoghby Z, Duncan AA, Tracz MJ, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Autogenous versus prosthetic vascular access for hemodialysis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Vasc Surg 2008; 48(Suppl):34S-47S.
Murad MH, Sidawy AN, Elamin MB, Rizvi AZ, Flynn DN, McCausland FR, McGrath MM, Vo DH, El-Zoghby Z, Casey ET, Duncan AA, Tracz MJ, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Timing of referral for vascular access placement: A systematic review. J Vasc Surg 2008;48(Suppl):31S-33S.
Casey ET, Murad MH, Rizvi AZ, Sidawy AN, McGrath MM, Elamin MB, Flynn DN, McCausland FR, Vo DH, El-Zoghby Z, Duncan AA, Tracz MJ, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Surveillance of arteriovenous hemodialysis access: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Vasc Surg 48(Suppl):48S-54S.
Mullan RJ, Flynn DN, Carlberg B, Tleyjeh IM, Kamath CC, Labella ML, Erwin PJ, Guyatt GH, Montori VM. Systematic reviews commonly contact study authors but do so with limited rigor. J Clin Epidemiology. 2009 Feb;62(2):138-42. Epub 2008 Nov 14.
Erwin PJ. Navigate the Net: Energy, Climate, Food and Health. Med Ref Serv Q. 2008 Winter;27(4):431-9.
Littleton DM, Rethlefsen ML. Library learning spaces: empirical research and perspective. Med Ref Serv Q. 2008;27(3):313-21.
Littleton DM. Supporting academic health centers with knowledge management: learning from the Web. Med Ref Serv Q. 2009 Summer;28(2):164-71.
Rethlefsen ML. Mobile information [Product pipeline]. Library Journal netConnect 2008;133(Fall):14-6.
Rethlefsen ML. Product pipeline [Screencasting opens up a world of new instructional options, says Melissa L. Rethlefsen, so take a look at some of the best free tools out there]. Library Journal netConnect 2009;134(Winter):14-6.
Rethlefsen ML., Segovis CM. Medicine in the era of Web 2.0. Minnesota Med 2009;92(1):30-3.
Rethlefsen ML. Screencast like a pro [Product pipeline]. Library Journal 2009;134(7):62-3.
Rethlefsen ML. What is RSS? EON 2009;(Mar):11-4.
Rethlefsen ML, Rothman DL, Mojon DS. Internet Cool Tools for Physicians. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer Verlag; 2009 [Book].
Capampangan DJ, Wellik KE, Aguilar MI, Demaerschalk BM, Wingerchuk DM. Does prophylactic postoperative hypervolemic therapy prevent cerebral vasospasm and improve clinical outcome after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage? Neurologist 2008 Nov;14(6):395-98.
Yoshii A, Plaut DA, McGraw KA, Anderson MJ, Wellik KE. Analysis of the reporting of search strategies in Cochrane Systematic Reviews. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Jan;97(1):21-9.
Demaerschalk DM, Miley ML, Kiernan TJ, Bobrow BJ, Corday DA, Wellik KE, Aguilar MI, Ingall TJ, Dodick DW, Brazdys K, Koch TC, Ward MP, Richemont PC. Stroke telemedicine. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009 Jan 84(1):53-64.
Almaraz AC, Bobrow BJ, Wingerchuk DM, Wellik KE, Demaerschalk BM. Serum neuron specific enolase to predict neurological outcome after cardiopulmonary resuscitation: a critically appraised topic. Neurologist. 2009 Jan;15(1):44-48.
Khoury J, Wellik KE, Demaerschalk BM, Wingerchuk DM. Cerebrospinal fluid angiotensin-converting enzyme for diagnosis of central nervous system sarcoidosis. Neurologist 2009 Mar;15(2):108-11.
Capampangan DJ, Wellik K, Bobrow BJ, Aguilar MI, Ingall TJ, Kiernan TE, Wingerchuk DM, Demaerschalk BM. Telemedicine versus telephone for remote emergency consultations: a critically appraised topic. Neurologist 2009 May;15(3):163-66.
Homan JM. Eyes on the Prize: Reflections on the Impact of the Evolving Digital Ecology on the Librarian as Expert Intermediary and Knowledge Coach, 1969-2009. Janet Doe Lecture: Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 16-20, Honolulu, HI; 2009.
Rethlefsen ML. Google for the Academic Pediatrician. Pediatric Grand Rounds, July 7. Rochester MN; 2008.
Rethlefsen ML. Web 2.0 at the Mayo Clinic. Cancer Education Center Staff Day, February 17. Rochester, MN; 2009.
Rethlefsen ML. New Pressures on Professionalism: Social Networking and its Impact on Medical Students and Education. Central Group on Educational Affairs (CGEA) Meeting, March 26-28. Rochester, MN; 2009.
Rethlefsen ML, Farrell AM. Web-based Tools to Enhance Your Productivity. Academic Career Development Workshops, April 21. Rochester, MN; 2009.
Rethlefsen ML. Internet Cool Tools: Writing About the Web on the Web. Enhancing Quality Staff, May 5. Minneapolis, MN; 2009.
Kraft M, Ragon B, Rethlefsen ML. Open forum: Task Force on Social Networking Software. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 19. Honolulu, HI; 2009.
Attwood CA. Reaching Out by Reaching In: Virtual Health and Wellness Information for Employees at Mayo Clinic Arizona. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 16-20, Honolulu, HI; 2009.
Littleton DM, Saville MC, Wellik KE. Hunters, Gatherers, and Strategists! Librarians Preparing for a Multisite HLC Reaccreditation evaluation. Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association, May 16-20, Honolulu, HI; 2009.
Rethlefsen ML, Farrell AM, Ryan M. Welcome to the Edublogosphere: Educating the Future, Today. Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions Annual Conference, October 31. Baltimore, MD; 2008.
Rethlefsen ML, Gajic O, Herasevich V. Stay tuned. Comparison of Journal Updates Tracking Using RSS and e-mail Technologies. American Medical Informatics Association 2008 Annual Symposium, November 11. Washington, DC; 2008.
Rethlefsen ML, and the Task Force on Social Networking Software. MLA members’ social software use and beliefs. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 18. Honolulu, HI; 2009.
Rethlefsen ML, Lynch A, Marton C. MLA’s Public Health/Health Administration Section’s Cool Web Things Task Force and the Adoption of Web 2.0 Technologies. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, May 19. Honolulu, HI; 2009.
Congratulations to Melissa Rethlefsen, LRC Librarian, named to the Library Journal’s Movers & Shakers list for 2009; “Library Leaders Creating the 2.0 Library of the Future.” http://www.libraryjournal.com/MS2009Inductee/2140335979.html.
Carol Ann Attwood, librarian in the Patient and Health Education Library, Mayo Clinic Arizona, has achieved the Level 1 Consumer Health Information Specialization from the Medical Library Association.
Patricia Erwin has been appointed to the IEEE Library Advisory Council for a 2 year term.
New nursing Web resources now on the Internet