A Cake Pan with a Call Number

October 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm 2 comments

For as long as I can remember I have decorated cakes.  I was a self-taught, learn from your mistakes decorator. Somewhere along the road it was decided that I should try to make money doing this so I started charging for cake orders which could be anything from a simple birthday cake to the fancier wedding cakes. Throw in hundreds of sheet cakes and after 10 years it became too much. I still liked decorating but I wanted to go back to the days when it was just a fun hobby.

Being a frequent library user and actually using the library as a place for people to pick up their cakes, I told the librarian that I was not going to take orders any more and that I would just bring all the pans into the library and let the people bake their own.  She thought I was joking. She couldn’t believe I would donate 50 some pans but I packed them up and she hung them on the library walls.  It was a win-win situation. I still had access to the pans, but I didn’t have to store them and my small town library became more than just a place to check out a book.

This gave the community a chance to use their own creativity to make a cake without the cost of buying the pan or ordering the cake from someone else. Best of all they didn’t have to find a place to store it.

Cake Pan Collection

That was in 1991. Over the years others have donated more pans to this collection. I continue to add about one a year.  Most of the pans have instructions for baking and decorating but some you just have to use your imagination or “Google” it!  You don’t always have to pour batter in to make a cake. Try using it as a mold with Rice Krispies™ or gelatin.

Several years after I donated my pans to my library, the neighboring town’s library started asking for cake pan donations to add to their collection.  So if you haven’t been to your local library lately, check it out. You never know what you may find to borrow.

Submitted by
Marilyn Pitzen
Learning Resource Center

Entry filed under: Feature Articles. Tags: .

Renovation and reopening of the Venables Health Sciences Library “E-Patient Dave” Kicks off Rochester Conference

2 Comments

• 1. azdiana53  |  October 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm

What a wonderful and practical idea! Thanks for sharing, Marilyn!
    ~Diana/Scottsdale

• 2. Joanne Banko  |  November 7, 2012 at 11:46 am

Kudos to your catalogers! I’d like to see a sample record.

%d bloggers like this: