Keeping Current with the Latest Articles in Your Field
- How does a busy healthcare professional stay on top of the latest published articles in their field of interest?
- How can a supervisor keep a sharp eye on trends in human resources management?
- How does a nurse know what is now being published on best practices in a specialty area?
- How do leaders catch a first glimpse of Harvard Business Review articles?
- And how is it done without personally subscribing to numerous journals, going online routinely to seek this information, or registering at every publisher’s site only to then be bombarded with advertisements and promotional material?
The library has a simple solution called Current Awareness! The Mayo Clinic Libraries’ Current Awareness Service is a free service that provides the latest table of contents for thousands of journals. Through an integrated site, you can browse journals by either subject area or title, access publisher information containing journal aims & scope as well as instructions for authors, and quickly retrieve previously published issues and full-text articles. You can also sign-up to receive e-mail alerts when new journal issues are published.
To use Current Awareness, go to the intranet Library homepage, click on the Current Awareness link, login with your Mayo LAN ID and password, and start checking the boxes to subscribe to the journal titles that are of interest. You’ll be alerted via e-mail with the current table of contents as soon as new issues are published. Alternatively, you can access your list of journal favorites without e-mail alerts when convenient.
The service is very flexible. It’s easy to suspend the alerts when you’ll be out of the office and reactivate when you’re back. Changing jobs or specialties? No problem! A mouse-click will easily modify your selections.
Current Awareness has grown from its humble paper dissemination beginnings. The automated service now delivers information to approximately 2,500 employees across Mayo Clinic and includes access to nearly 3,000 wide-ranging journals.
What is in the future for this service? We actively respond to subscriber suggestions and continue to improve the delivery process and increase the online journal content.
Below are a few user comments about Current Awareness:
I LOVE being able to have journals sent to my email. It is a wonderful service. Keep up the great work! –Kathy
First, thank you so much for your continued work on providing Table of Contents and articles to me. It means a lot and makes me a much better and more well-rounded employee. –Todd
Beth Miller, Shelby Jensen, Dana Gerberi, Karen Larsen