Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living

January 30, 2014 at 3:03 pm

MC Guide to Stress-Free LivingThe Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living is not your run-of-the-mill self-help book. Other books have offered to help me meditate, reduce stress, or become healthier.  Unfortunately, most of them also required me to steal large amounts of time from my already busy life. While I know I need to make changes, current obligations don’t allow me the time to meditate for hours a day.  Dr. Sood’s approach is different. Rather than suggesting we remove ourselves from our daily issues, he asks us to use them as opportunities to get out of “default mode”, focus joyfully on the present, re-frame our interpretations, and find ways to be grateful for what we have.

This well-researched book provides the latest scientific theories for why our minds wander, why we tend to dwell on the negative, how that affects our life, and what we can do about it. I found the book simple to understand.  The book’s exercises and practices made it easy to start right away and were easily integrated into everyday life.

Dr. Sood’s comfortable writing style and warm voice make The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living  enjoyable to read. The organization of the materials and the excellent table of contents make it easy to refer back to exercises or concepts later.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with stress, pain, loss, health concerns, or is just looking for direction.   I learned something new and useful from every chapter.  For me, the most significant lesson was that gratitude and compassion are the most important emotions.  Focusing on them doesn’t mean you cannot strive to improve yourself or your situation.  But it does mean you should be kind to yourself and those around you.

If you are looking for a real-life way to reduce stress, or feel better about yourself or your situation, this book is for you.

Scott A. Koon
Information Technology
Ozmun Center

Entry filed under: Book Notes. Tags: .

Departures NLM Updates

%d bloggers like this: