Conservation of Plummer Hall Portraits

July 23, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Plummer Hall EntranceThe Plummer Hall Reading Room in the Plummer Library on the 14th floor of the Plummer Building contains a number of large oil portraits of the Mayo Brothers, their early partners (on the south wall), and former chairmen of the Board of Governors (north wall). An oil portrait of Henry Plummer for whom the Hall and building are named hangs above the marble fireplace.   Library staff reported seeing condition issues with two portraits and they were sent to the Midwest Art Conservation Center in Minneapolis late last year. Conservation work on the portraits of Augustus White Stinchfield (1842-1917), an early partner of the Mayo brothers, and Melvin Starkey Henderson (1883-1954), a former chairman of the Mayo Clinic Board of Governors is now complete and the two paintings will be rehung in Plummer Hall later this summer. Conservation work was performed by the Midwest Art Conservation Center in Minneapolis and included surface repairs, cleaning, adjustment of canvas tension, and stabilization of the frames.

J. Michael Homan
Director of Libraries

Henry Plummer Portrait

 

Entry filed under: News Bytes. Tags: , , , , , .

Questions About Open-Access Publishers? Library Orientation Video



%d bloggers like this: